layout

Friday, March 14, 2008

Why I'm a Nerd and My Husband Loves Me Anyway

So I've had an eye opening reality. As much as I'd like to think I'm cool, hip, jiggy, pimp, down, crunk, superfly, off the chain or whatever the kids are saying these days, it's just not true. This realization comes three fold:

1) I received a degree in journalism from UNC. I love words and I love writing. It's come to my attention that one of my largest pet peeves is people who use bad grammar. Example: "He don't work here no more." Say what, now??? I'm also a grammar nerd. I was going through a closet this past weekend and found my AP Style grammar and writing book. It's full of rules for writing according to AP style. I was elated! I had been looking for this book for a year and was overjoyed I finally found it. I consequently spent the next hour flipping through it. Steve just shook his head and laughed.

2) I was a band nerd in high school and college. This is true and I'm proud of it! I love Broadway and the symphony and marching band shows. I'd also like to be modest but I pretty much rock at playing the flute.

When I was a senior in high school I went to see a show at the Buell Theatre in Denver with some band friends. The show was a broadway show called "Blast!" and it's hard to explain. It's basically indoor, theatrical marching band. It's only brass and percussion and there are lights and props and it's amazing. Well, that was 2001 when I went to see it and it hasn't been back through Colorado since! Well, in three weeks it's back and Steve got me tickets!! He said he'd never seen anyone so exicted about marching band...indoors. :)

3) There is this main street in Ft. Collins called College Avenue. It borders the west edge of the CSU campus and is the busiest damn road in FoCo. Steve and I were driving down it last weekend on our way to Target Boutique and we had our windows up. There was a college girl in the car next to us with her windows up yet I could still hear her music perfectly. I looked over and Steve and said, "Does her music really need to be that loud?" Steve looked at me like I had three heads, laughed and said "Did you seriously just say that? How old are you??"

No comments: