layout

Friday, April 11, 2008

Say What, Now?




STOP! Grammar Time!

I understand that not everyone can be a word-nazi like I am. I understand that not everyone has taken writing classes or majored in journalism. What I do not understand is people who have graduated high school who still do not know the difference between there, their and they're.

There's also a difference between your and you're. One is YOUR bike the other is YOU ARE going to ride the bike. YOU ARE going to ride YOUR bike.

Here is not prounounced HER and not spelled "herr". It's especially not spelled like that if you're not 50 Cent and you're from Wheat Ridge.

There's also this lovely new invention out there. Maybe you've heard of it; it's called spell-check. Look into it.

There's a difference between affect and effect and no, they aren't used interchangeably. There's no such word as "oblivital". It's oblivious and apparently you are.

If I hear the phrase "He don't work here" one more time I'm going to cringe myself to death.

Don't end every sentence with "..." in a blog, on myspace or anywhere. Every so often is fine if the sentence merits the three dots, but how annoying is this to read?... I mean seriously... It gets annoying, right... Because I'm pretty damn annoyed... Wow...

Don't use a "z" where an "s" should be. It's words not wordz or plez or waz. K?

ETC. is said "et cetera" not eccetera.
It's nu-clee-er, NOT nu-Q-ler.
It's voila, not walla.
There is no "T" at the end of across. It's not acrosst.
It's not pronouned "excaped" or "expecially".

No comments: