layout

Friday, April 04, 2008

Blast!

I posted on March 4th that Steve got me tickets to a show called "Blast!". It's hard to explain what it is. Basically it's indoor marching band but with a theatrical/stage flare. It's dorky, yes I know. But you must understand something, I'm a little dorky :) I've been playing instruments since i was in 4th grade and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty good. I've done marching band, symphonic band, concert band, played with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, marched in parades, played in college. You name it, I've probably done it. And yes, I've been to numerous band camps. But get your mind out of the gutter!!

SO, I went to "Blast!" my senior year of high school and was absolutely mesmerized. I'm not sure if everyone who sees it is as enthralled as I was, but I was in love with that show! Sadly, it hasn't been back through colorado in 7 years. But can you believe my fortune that tonight, not only is it in Colorado but in NORTHERN Colorado!! I don't even have to drive to Denver.

Steve and I are going tonight. Bless his heart, he's excited to go as well even though it's not something he'd EVER go to on his own. He said he wouldn't pass it up because he's never seen anyone so excited about INDOOR marching band, let alone marching band in general.

I don't think people realize how hard marching band really is. People don't just march around aimlessly, playing memorized music. No, No. It's much harder than that. Not only do you have to memorize (and play PERFECTLY) 15 minutes worth of music but the places you march to, from above, make shapes that correspond to what's going on in the music. And the entire time you have to look at the drum major (not down at your feet or at the people marching just inches from you), you can't run into anyone, half the time your feet are going one direction while you have to keep your upper body towards the front of the field, AND you're playing the whole time while roll-stepping so the crowd can't hear your footsteps in your sound. It's extremely hard!!! When I was in high school, we would practice every day after school until 5:30 and ALL day on Saturdays, every Saturday for 4 months. We had a band camp every year during the last week or two of summer and an overnight stay sometime during the season and do nothing but practice for 48 hours.

Rent Drumline and you'll get a glimpse of what it's really like to be in marching band.

ANYWHO!! Watch the videos below. They're just a minor glimpse into the awesomeness that is "Blast!".



No comments: